Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Playing ketchup

M&S has reported sterling figures this morning. Great news for me, I am a share holder (albeit of about 2 shares) but that isn't the half of it..........

The best news I have heard so far this week amongst the doom and gloom of the usual business stories and the continued injection of cash into ailing banks (but that is another story) is that Marks and Spencer is to expand the sale of branded goods from a select number of stores to more than 600 stores across the UK. I am hoping this includes my local.

For years I think M&S have been missing a trick. You see the M&S own branded ketchup just isn't quite up to it. And the fact that you could buy a ready meal of the highest quality and a t-shirt at the same time was beginning to lose its appeal. I made the move from M&S to Waitrose so that I could get different brands but now I am going back and fast.

According to Mysupermarket I will also save some pennies. M&S is cheaper than Waitrose on 1,200 lines although Waitrose has retaliated by saying it is 6% cheaper on the other lines – we'll see. The battle for market share between these two quality food outlets has begun but I know where my loyalties lie........

LW

No comments:

Post a Comment