Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Quality brands banking on success

Within the next 12 months, the retail banking sector is set to become increasingly competitive. With Tesco, Virgin Money and the Post Office expected to launch into the current account arena, current providers are getting jittery. And so they should.

Not only are these companies known for being easy on a thrifty consumer's purse, they also seem to have a vague understanding of customer service. As a customer of my (unnamed) bank, I can honestly say that I sometimes wish my bank manager would greet me with the middle finger before dispatching me with a swift kick in the rear. Anything would be better than the surly unhelpfulness and general confusion caused by its myriad of call centres. At least by taking the former approach, I would know exactly where I stood and could take appropriate action. Instead, I am treated to a theatrical display of West End proportions whereby the bank and its dastardly minions of doom go through the pretence of caring.

What they need is more competition. It's a sign of a healthy market place and hopefully the newcomers will focus their attention more on actually viewing customers as a help as opposed to a hindrance.

SI

No comments:

Post a Comment